Thursday

Strawberry Jam

One of the things I like to do every summer is pick strawberries with the kids.  If I time it just right, they don't mind picking.  I give them each a goal to pick, one container (varies in size by where we are picking).  So while I am answering if this strawberry is ripe enough to pick, or if that one is, I in the mean time usually pick double what they do.  Which is ok, it's the experience we are going for.  This year we picked 17 pounds in a shorter amount of time than last year!  At least they are improving their efforts!

This summer we have tried to stick to a daily schedule with the kids, and on Monday's we have "Cooking Class".  What better to make with all the berries we just picked than Strawberry Jam!  The recipe/package I use is very simple and fast, only needing to add splenda and berries to the packet.  Then we laddle the jam in to containers, let set 30 minutes, and pop them all in the freezer! 

I think our cooking lesson may have been a little too simple for the kids...they couldn't believe that is all it takes to make homemade strawberry jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment